'WitchHunt' has been launched today. It begins with a near minute's silence - stay with it.
Here is the link to this disturbing and brilliant piece of writing and direction by Jon Pullman:
And here is the relevant section of the post that I published on 4 March. I was unable at that time to download the link to the film that had been briefly available online as a preview:
|Jackie Walker - anti-racist political activist, suspended from the Labour Party for anti-Semitism|
- Faced with campaigns such as the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement, the Israeli government responded by establishing the Ministry of Strategic Affairs and Public Diplomacy to counter the threat that some claimed to be existential - the existence of the state of Israel was at stake;
- The Ministry of Strategic Affairs now seemed set on establishing that anti-Zionism is the new anti-Semitism. Criticisms of the actions of the Israeli government and Israeli settlers from a pro-Palestinian perspective were taken to be anti-Semitic;
- Such an Israeli government perspective reduces the world to a false black and white version of reality. There are Jews in Palestine and elsewhere who do not share such a simplistic view. Leading Jewish academics and intellectuals are critical of such distortions. Not all Jews are Zionist. There are Jews in Israel and in the rest of the world who oppose the policies of the Israeli government and who organise to secure justice for Palestinians;
- However, the US government supports the Israeli government for strategic reasons in the Middle-East power game and US Christian evangelicals are fervently pro-Israeli due to their biblical fundamentalism;
- Critically, the neo-liberal Conservative forces that have controlled the global economy since the end of the 1970s will seek to use political means to eliminate any left-wing challenge to their hegemony - and the election of a pro-Palestinian socialist - Jeremy Corbyn - as the leader of the Labour Party in 2015 posed a threat of the first order;
- There is no surprise, therefore, that Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour Party in general, and specific individuals such as Jackie Walker, have found themselves identified as anti-Semitic.
|Jeremy Corbyn - anti-racist political activist and leader of the Labour Party - accused of allowing anti-Semitism to take root in the Party|
The film begins with these words from Noam Chomsky in January 2019:
|Noam Chomsky - academic, intellectual and anti-racist political activist|