Saturday 16 February 2019

JAGO STONE - THE AMERICAN CONNECTION - PART TWELVE



This post is composed from two earlier posts that I published in January about the appeal for hi-res images of Jago's artwork. I have designed it for USAF Upper Heyford veteran websites as many Americans who follow these sites will not have seen the January posts - apologies to those who have seen the material before but it's Jago and worth a second look! 


As many readers - but not all - will know, the biography of Jago Stone will be published as 'The Remarkable Life of Jago Stone' by Rob Donovan on October 1 this year. Unicorn PLG are my publishers. Their design team and I are working together to ensure that the book looks as good as it reads - and to this end I contacted recently all those who had sent me images of their Jago Stone paintings and which I then referenced and included as images within the text. Unicorn and I hoped that these contributors would respond and send me hi-res images of their Jago Stone art work which I could then add to the Dropbox to send to Unicorn. The higher the resolution, the finer the picture.

The response has been impressive. So many higher-resolution images have arrived through cyber space. In this post, I give you - the reader - the opportunity to see some of the hi-res images that have come from the United States. A taster for the book itself.

I'll start with a story that I have already outlined in a Christmas 2018 post called: MORE AMERICAN LINKS - THE JENNY JANZEN COLLECTION. Here's the link to that post: Press here. Jenny has one of the largest collections of Jago's watercolours in the United States and we have been fortunate enough to be gifted images of fourteen of them. Four of these, I included in that Christmas 2018 post. Here is another:


Tysoe Fire Station, Warwickshire - Jago Stone (1976)


In the order the American hi-res images came, first the story behind those from Jessica Raber, nee Pue. Jessica is an artist in Bloomington, Indiana - press here for a link. Jessica was five years old when Jago painted a watercolour of her parent's home in Bicester, Oxfordshire in 1984 during the time they were on tour, stationed
at RAF Upper Heyford. 


Blencowe Close, RAF Bicester, Oxfordshire - Jago Stone (1984) - with Jessica sketched in the downstairs window.


These are Jessica's words:

'I was rather young at the time so my memories of Jago are rather hazy … but one firm memory … is    watching him at his easel. He playfully sketched me looking out from one of the windows, so I am proud to say that I am featured in a Jago Stone work.'



Untitled - Jessica Raber (2017)



Featured above, is a Jessica Raber work from 2017. Jessica and her husband Doug are our friends now and their insights and thoughts on Jago have been very useful to me as Jago's biographer. In the biography, you will find hi-res images of the two watercolours owned by Jessica's parents, Dianna and Howard Pue, and the two miniatures that Jessica has in her home. Here is the hi-res image of one of Jessica's Jago miniatures:



Untitled - Jago Stone (1986)


Finally,  I feature one of the hi-res images from Bob Pahl, resident in Holly Springs, Georgia. Bob had whetted my appetite back in November 2017 with this email message:

'I still have a host of his paintings and have some great stories ...'

More on those in the biography. Bob Pahl's service history in the United States Air Force is extraordinary with four tours in the UK between 1968 and 1990 that included seventeen years flying F111s. Here is the hi-res image of the courtyard at Poyle Court, a 450 year-old manor house in Hampton Poole, Oxfordshire where Bob and his family lived during their tour from 1974 to 1976:


The Courtyard at Poyle Court - Jago Stone (1976)

The American government knew how to look after their elite flying crew. Nothing but the best for the best. Jago relished the knowledge that his art was loved by Americans and taken back across the Pond to hang in their homes. He had become an international artist.   


If you would like to be kept up-to-date with news of publication and marketing, do please sign up for the newsletter - it's free and puts you under no obligation and it gives you each month fresh glimpses into the life and work of this English artist who very much enjoyed his connections with so many American friends. Press here for the link







No comments:

Post a Comment